Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Otakon

Well I made it back from Otakon 2005! ; D


My father and my wife came along to help out, which was good because we had 7 suitcases full of merchandise and my display, plus my brothers laptop, and I never could have done it without them. We ended up getting a hotel about a mile and a half from the convention center, and between lugging suitcases back and forth ( we didn't have to lug them ALL after the first day but still! ) and standing the whole con we were exhausted at the end of each night. I really didn't get a chance to meet up with anyone who didn't stop by to see me this time. I tried to go to the Artist alley after the dealers room closed on Saturday, but all the kids from the dealers room ran over there after it closed and it was nuts! I meet the guys from Frontbeat at their table then gave up. :( Fred stopped by at the end of the con on Sunday and I talked to Greg and the crew from Wizzywig a lot, but that was about it for mingling. Sorry guys! I promise next time I'll do more!

I did take the time to go to the webcomics 101 panel, which I thought had some pretty good information in it. Particularly about copyright and copyright infingement since there were some things in there that I had assumed but hadn't actually taken the time to find out for sure. Sounds like bad news for those who make sprite comics O_o Thanks for the info Chris. T Campbell's section was interesting as well. The guy from Keenspace didn't really have time to get to his point and I'm not sure what the heck the other guy was there for, other then to be obnoxious, but he wasn't as distracting as he was trying to be so there you go. I did feel bad for them when they didn't get AV cords for their presentation, but the presentation was more about information and not so much about visuals so it turned out okay.


Dad with cracker teeth!


Jackie with her new (temporary) tattoo!

It was great to meet so many fans this time out, the other two conventions we went to only a few people had heard of us, this time about 1/3 knew about Alpha Shade! It was also gratifying that so many people who had never heard of us were intrigued enough about our stuff to pick up books shirts and posters based solely on my description of the story and my artwork. We ended up selling almost everything we came with. I guess the next con I go to I'll have to ship the merchandise. I think we are outgrowing suitcases.
















3 Comments:

At 1:10 PM, Blogger Lysander said...

Until I saw this post, I didn't think to google Otakon to see where it was being held. D'OH! It was close enough, but not meant to be, I suppose.

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Def jealous of people not stuck in boring classes. Oh! Just got busted....

 
At 12:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your cats are SO cute!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home