Monday, May 16, 2005

Anime Central a Success

Despite some early programming issues, Anime Central went off pretty well for us. Parking was not so great and we didn't know about the loading dock area, so we ended up having to park in a parking garage and transport all of our merchandise and display elements about half a mile to our booth. Luckily I had just bought a little suitcase with wheels that would just hold one 50lb box of our books or we would have been hurting!


The Convention Center from our room.

When we got there someone had swiped our table, but that was quickly sorted out and we got set up with time to spare. We didn't have any power, so I didn't get to work on the page at all, but to tell the truth, it would have been hard anyway, we were pretty busy with sales and answering questions.


Our Booth! ( it was more impressive in real life )

On Friday night Chris and I gave our "Creating Webcomics" Panel. It was a pretty full room and we got applause at the end. Some of the audience came by our booth later and told us it was the best panel they had ever been to, That's always nice to hear!

The next night we got together with Carrie from 9th Elsewhere, Jerry from Secret of Mana Theater and Brion from Flipside and recorded a three hour three hour Alpha Rant Webcomic interview special. I will be posting that as a podcast after I get done editing it. We also talked to some other people about doing some remote interviews, so hopefully those will happen in the coming months as well.

Anyway, sales of Chapter one went really well, and I'm feeling inspired to work harder on Chapter 2. The cool thing is that most of the people who bought the book have never heard of us before, so we reached a whole new audience. It was nice to finally get to meet a lot of our favorite webcomic creators like Michael Poe from Errant Story, FAUB's John Fortman, Christopher Snowdon from Steampowered, Dirk Tiede from Paradigm Shift, the guys from Studio Antithesis and many more. We also made some great contacts. We'll defenatly be back next year!



Pic of JQ, Me and Chris, thanks to Stacie from Studio Anti Thesis



Me and an Actual Fan! Her Favorite page was 74.



Fred and Sarah from Megatokyo stopped by to say hello.



No Con is complete without a cute girl in a Pikachu outfit

8 Comments:

At 8:57 AM, Blogger Metahari said...

Hey! It was really great to chat with you guys at the ArtJam, I'm glad I got to meet you both. I've seen you guys on the net forums, but it's really awesome you both are so approachable in person.

My pictures from the weekend are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/metahari/sets/341046/

with a great picture of you guys at your booth here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/metahari/14088582/in/set-341046/

I had a great time!
--Stacie from Studio Anti Thesis

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

W00t! now we finally see the mysterios figure behind alpha-shade!

If only i could have been there . . . i could have my book signed . . . again, hell! you can never get to many signatures!

 
At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh wow, that sounds like it was an exciting time! Glad it was such an overall easy experience; I've heard of some cons not exactly going dandy for some alleyway artists so a good thing your first time was an overall success. Joe you two by any chance have relatives in Oklahoma do you? Because you two look have a rather striking image of a pair of brother chiropractors that I attend Hapkido with. Otherwise, just seems to be one of those concidences. Anyways, so glad the con was such a success for y'all, can't wait to read more and here about future cons!

Guest.

 
At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops, thanks for the clear up! I always seem to think one thing is another.

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa. I'm pretty sure I recognize that fan in that picture of you and an actual fan.

 
At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joe,

Book 1 rocked. I look forward to what you guys have in store for book 2. And if you ever get a Japanese language version done, I'll be first in line to pick up a copy!

Chris, V.P.
Hendane! Inc.

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Leedar said...

You don't really look like what I pictured. I guess I see too many twenty year-olds and think all professional Web comic artists are in that age bracket.

I think your RealAudio recordings/rants somehow made your voices sound younger (?), or all that junk food (well, you certainly don't seem light on [diet] soft drinks) has caused some accelerated ageing.

You (and Chris, who does look similar to what I imagined) must be a bit older than you are letting on?

Hmm. That was cheery. Don't mind me, just making some random observations. You probably won't even read this comment, so no probs. 8)

 
At 6:50 AM, Blogger Joseph Brudlos said...

I'm 31 and Chris is 36. I've been a professional Artist (Paid to create art and graphic design at actual companies) since 1998 ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home